Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad



Today is my Dad's Birthday. Everyone who knows him loves him. I happen to have the best and coolest Dad in the whole world. Really, truly I do! I have no excuses for my poor behavior in life because I had a blessed childhood. My first memory of my Dad is him rocking me in our old blue rocker and singing, "Give said the Little Stream." Still my favorite song. I have wonderful memories of Daddy Daughter dates to the pool, ice skating rink, roller rink, etc. etc. I loved how my Dad was so funny and would always make my friends laugh. He still does. He used to pull up beside us in his car while we were walking to school and say, "Want a ride, hope you get one" and drive off laughing. We loved it! When I tried out for Junior High Cheerleader and didn't make it, my Dad came home with flowers and a note that said, "You are number one in my book"! On Easter, my dad would always give us a card with his testimony. He was always an example and practiced what he preached. Without my Dad's diligence, patience, and love I would not have survived anorexia. I love that he drove an old beat up mini-van long after he could afford a better car and how he anonymously gives to family, friends, and strangers. During our poor college years, we would often find a twenty dollar bill on the nightstand or in the car after he visited. They were heaven sent. I love how he loves my mom and treats her like a queen. I love how is willing to drive for four hours just to spend the evening with her. He has been there for every important event in my life and the best compliment I can give him is that there has never been a time when I needed my Dad and he wasn't there. I know this will embarrass him if he reads it, because that's how he is. But I just wanted to take this opportunity to write down some of the reasons why I feel so blessed to know him and I am so glad he is here to wish him a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you Dad.

9 comments:

Nora Mair said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Charlie! What an awesome tribute. "Want a ride? Hope you get one"-- heh that is so him!

Anonymous said...

My kids think that is the funniest joke ever. They still say it all of the time. You are very lucky to have a great dad. I am proud just to call him uncle!

Jennie said...

He's Awesome Whit! It's easy to see how you turned out so great!

Kenon said...

What an amazing guy. I hope he gets to read that...

H and E said...

I agree whole heartedly, he is the best dad is the whole wide world and wouldn't survive without him. Love you dad!

Judd and Jackie said...

You said it all! He is the hero in our family. We love you Papa Charlie!!!! Happy Birthday.

Unknown said...

What a great tribute to your dad. He sure is a great guy. From all the stories I've heard, he is always around for family. What a great quality.

Ashlee said...

It explains why you're so great. That was a wonderful tribute- I teared up! There's nothing as special as a great dad. I'm so glad he was so wonderful to you guys, what a heavenly example! I don't even know him and I wish he was mine! :)

webbweb said...

What an amazing tribute to our amazing Dad. He really is the best!!