Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lost in the 18th Century

I have been lost this week in an excellent read full of history, adventure, and of course romance! When I am reading a book, I tend to tune out everyone around me including my poor children and husband. I have been banned from bringing books on girl trips with my sisters and road trips with my husband. Not only do I neglect everyone and everything, I stay up hiding in my closet reading until the book is finished or Steve yells, "Whitney, that is irresponsible, come to bed!" I also tend to become overly attached to the characters and think about them throughout the day. I become completely immersed in the time period and I have even caught myself talking like the characters. Last week I was reading about Henry the VIII and Anne Boleyn and thinking in my head, "I shall not go to my husband's bed chamber whilst I am reading this book". This week, I am thinking, "Didya ken that I favor a lad in a kilt". I asked Claire at lunch, "Would ye like me to heat yer lunch wee bonny lass?" So please forgive me while I'm lost and in love with a Scottish rougue in 1743

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aye, I think a lad in a kilt is verra sexy! and I didna mind a bit wasting my time on that Scotsman
:-)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love geting caught up in a good book. I need to read less blogs and more books. :)

Kenon said...

Just make sure you pass them on...

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Oh, what are you reading? I love a good book. I also tend to neglect loved ones and other things.

Michelle said...

Um...a book about any scotsman in a kilt sounds um...lovely. What is it? Now I want to read it. I always start talking like characters too. I think reading has really helped my vocabulary. It's taught me how to speak coreckly.

Jennie said...

Pass them on, pass them on... We all LOVE to get caught up in a book like that, I swear I kept thinking that SOME part of Harry Potter could be true... maybe?

Nora Mair said...

Have you started a book club with Laurie--she's loving the scott's man too.

Nora Mair said...

Have you started a book club with Laurie--she's loving the scott's man too.

H and E said...

Ooh I love a good book! Just lately I have been reading books like crazy! since I have no time during the week I will read a book every weekend! It is the best, however I am not like you I don't tune out the world!

Christy Ackerson said...

So, What are the titles of these books? Please let us know, so we can take them to our closets too! Aunt Christy

Kristi said...

Aye! Little Lassie, only nobility knows how to read so ye must be in His Holiness' court! As long as ye are there, check out World Without End. You'll want to raise your skirt hem and show Earl Stephen your ankles!

Jenny-ology said...

I love to read and to get lost in a good read. It is such a wonderful escape from reality. And I have to avoid the library altogether when I need to get stuff done. And I totally think about them and their plights all the time!
Lately, I have been immersed the same way in the Jane Austen Masterpiece series on PBS! I love it!

Jennie said...

Whit you're KILLING ME! Let's see a new post!!!

Kenon said...

Hey Whit...what's the latest and greatest? I was hoping to get on here and be inspired or amused by your newest posting. :)